InsideWorld        InsideDirect        InsideWeather        InsideTravel

CLICK HERE FOR YOUR FREE SUBSCRIPTION

InsideWorld
InsideDirect
InsideTravel
InsideWeather

Top Stories


Click here
if you want more information about advertising on this site.
Sign up
for News
Manage your
Account
Forgot your
Password
News
Services




 
more» 
  • Total goes ahead with ultra-deep Angolan oil field

  • Total's Girassol oil platform on block 17 off Angola on October 16, 2003French oil group Total has found ways of reducing the cost of extracting ultra-deep Angolan offshore oil reserves by a fifth and has decided to go ahead with investment in the Kaombo project, the firm said on Monday. Total and its venture partners have found ways of reducing the overall capital cost by $4.0 billion (2.9 billion euros) to $16.0 billion, and production is set to begin in 2017, Total said in a statement.



  • Russia's Lavrov dismisses U.S. criticism over Ukraine

  • MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Tuesday dismissed U.S. accusations that Moscow was destabilizing Ukraine and said the situation could improve only if the interests of Russian speakers are taken into account. Speaking at a joint news conference in Moscow with Angolan Foreign Minister Georges Chikoti, Lavrov reiterated Moscow's call for constitutional reforms in Ukraine to guarantee the rights of Russian speakers there. (Reporting by Gabriela Baczynska, Editing by Timothy Heritage)
  • Guinea's Ebola battle: containing a killer virus

  • This picture taken on April 9, 2005 shows five health workers, dressed in head-to-toe "Ebola suits", in Uige, AngolaThe Ebola haemorrhagic fever plaguing Guinea is caused by one of the deadliest viruses known to mankind, killing up to 90 percent of people it infects. The tropical virus can fell its victims within days, causing severe fever and muscle pain, weakness, vomiting and diarrhoea. Of some 1,850 people diagnosed with Ebola haemorrhagic fever since the virus was first identified in the Democratic Republic of Congo (then Zaire) 38 years ago, 1,200 have died, according to the World Health Organisation (WHO). Out of 86 known cases in Guinea, there have been more than 60 deaths in the southern forest region of the west African nation,which borders Ivory Coast, Liberia and Sierra Leone.



  • Man gets 40 years for slaying of romantic rival

  • ANGOLA, Indiana (AP) — A Bangladesh native who fled Indiana for his home country nearly 25 years ago after being charged in connection with a romantic rival's death was sentenced Monday to 40 years in prison.
  • Guinea's Ebola battle: steps taken to contain virus

  • This picture taken on April 9, 2005 shows five health workers, dressed in head-to-toe "Ebola suits", in Uige, AngolaThe Ebola virus plaguing Guinea is one of the deadliest known to man, claiming the lives of two-thirds of the people it has infected so far. The tropical virus can fell its victims within days, causing severe fever and muscle pain, weakness, vomiting and diarrhoea -- in some cases shutting down organs and causing unstoppable bleeding. Of around 1,850 people diagnosed with Ebola haemorrhagic fever since the virus was first identified 38 years ago in the Democratic Republic of Congo (then Zaire), 1,200 have died, the UN health agency says. Of 86 cases in Guinea there have been 59 deaths in the southern forest region of the west African nation bordering Ivory Coast, Liberia and Sierra Leone.



  • Bissau court clears leading party candidate for April vote

  • Guinea-Bissau's highest court has cleared the way for the candidate of the West African nation's largest political party to contest next month's presidential election, quashing a legal appeal to block his candidacy. Guinea-Bissau's attorney general had asked the Supreme Court to stop Jose Mario Vaz, a former finance minister, from contesting April's vote because of his suspected involvement in the embezzlement of a $12.5 million budget grant from Angola. Vaz, chosen last week as presidential candidate for the African Party for the Independence of Guinea and Cape Verde (PAIGC), has denied any wrongdoing. "The Attorney General of the Republic did not have the legitimacy to intervene in the selection of candidates for presidential elections," the seven judges of the court said in the ruling published late on Tuesday.
  • Angola faces difficulties in getting agriculture sector to grow

  • Some kids stand at the Boa Vista slum, in the outskirts of Luanda, on August 31, 2012Oil-rich Angola aims to roll out measures to boost productivity in its agriculture sector and curb its dependence on food imports, but there are concerns price hikes will harm the poor. Before its independence in 1975, Angola was an agricultural powerhouse known for its coffee and rubber production. It left the southwestern African country heavily reliant on food imports, which account for 90 percent total food consumed. In the first nine months of last year, Angola spent over $3.6 billion on imported food and drinks alone, according to the trade ministry.



  • Leading candidate for Bissau's April vote faces legal objection

  • Guinea-Bissau's attorney general is seeking to block the candidate of the country's largest party from contesting next month's presidential election, accusing him of misappropriating public funds, according to an order seen by Reuters on Friday. The attorney general says Jose Mario Vaz, who was chosen on Sunday as the candidate for the African Party for the Independence of Guinea and Cape Verde (PAIGC), is suspected of embezzling a budget support grant from Angola in 2012 while he was finance minister. "This decision is taken in order to avoid obstacles in the ongoing judicial proceedings against Jose Mario Vaz for his involvement in the embezzlement of $12.5 million," according to the request submitted to the Supreme Court on Thursday. Vaz was among 20 candidates who submitted their candidacies to the Supreme Court ahead of a deadline on Wednesday to register for the April 13 election in the former Portuguese colony.
  • Angola gives strife-torn C.Africa $10m in aid

  • People live at a Christian refugee camp at Mpoko airport, in Bangui on February 22, 2014Angola on Wednesday announced $10 million in aid for the strife-torn Central African Republic, with a possible credit line in the future, during a visit by Bangui's president. Joaquim do Espirito Santo, Africa director in the foreign affairs ministry, told Angolan television that the aid was to support the transitional government and to respond to the ongoing humanitarian crisis. Making an official two-day visit to Luanda, Central Africa's interim President Catherine Samba Panza said there were "still peaks of violence" but that the general situation was beginning to come under control.



more» 
 

For more information about current affairs, business, economy, politics and more, use InsideWorld's free daily e-mail news service.

If you would like to receive news, but do not have an InsideWorld account yet, click below to setup your free account now and start receiving news right away.

 

 
Click here for your free subscription

Login to your account for
for advanced settings:

Email:
Password:


InsideWorld
is a collection of country and region web sites providing local news and information to a worldwide audience. Use InsideWorld’s headlines available on this site to access the latest stories. Or sign up today.

Advertising Privacy Statement FAQ Contact
RSS Feed